Friday, June 6, 2008

Oh, Those Reviews!

Before I was a published author, I read a lot about reviews and how they should be taken. I agreed (and still do) that they shouldn’t be taken personally, unless they are in fact personal. But the minute I joined the ranks of published authors, I’ll admit that the sharp elbow of emotion nudged some of that “understanding” out of the way. I held my breath for weeks; I believe the same is true for many authors, whether they’ve published one or one hundred books.

Today I received a wonderful review from Tavares Carney of The Culture Clique Book Club. She writes “I particularly enjoyed Bilal’s persistence and reliance on his faith in winning Ayo over, and although Ayo is strong-willed, her vulnerability made her character more true to life. Bilal was able to love Ayo the way she needed to be loved.” That’s just what I hoped readers would take away from the story. Here is Tavares’ complete review.

In From Dusk to Dawn, author, Niambi Davis, takes us on a tumultuous love journey between main characters, Ayo Montgomery and Bilal Abdul-Salaam. Ayo, budding entrepreneur and single mother to a college-age son, Kedar, believes she is too old and set in her ways to be in a relationship at this point in her life; therefore, she definitely is not looking for love. With her primary focus on her skincare product business and seeing to her son’s needs, Ayo is all but blindsided when Bilal enters her world. Bilal, an eccentric gentleman, becomes smitten with Ayo the first day he walks into her home. From their initial encounter, Ayo and Bilal fight the feelings they have for each other. Later, they let their guards down and the two seemingly become one. Throughout their relationship, Ayo and Bilal face familial challenges and health complications that threaten their bond.

What I like about this atypical romance story is the fact that everything isn’t peaches and cream between Ayo and Bilal. I particularly enjoyed Bilal’s persistence and reliance on his faith in winning Ayo over, and although Ayo is strong-willed, her vulnerability made her character more true to life. Bilal was able to love Ayo the way she needed to be loved. What I most liked about From Dusk to Dawn, is the fact that the main characters did not succumb to societal views regarding the age difference in their relationship.

I would definitely read another book by Ms. Davis.

8 comments:

Beverly said...

Niambi -

A very good review that reflects all the wonderful elements of your story.

Yes, I can understand how "personal" a review can be after all - your book is like your child.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful review! I'm sure it's well deserved.

Darnetta

'Cilla said...

WOW.. I could not have said it better. Wonderful review and tribute to Naimbi.

'cilla

Jennifer C. said...

Great review Niambi!

Michelle Monkou said...

A great review that provided a thorough analysis of your work and did what a positive review should do - make someone become a fan of your work. And that's not a difficult step to make.

Good luck with the journey.

Michelle

Niambi Brown Davis said...

You're right, Beverly. And just like sending a real child out into the world, you hope they're not too battered and bruised (lol) But honest, constructive criticism can only help an author to improve. That was my mantra in the mirror every day (lol)

Niambi Brown Davis said...

Thanks, Darnetta and 'Cilla :)

Niambi Brown Davis said...

Hi. Michelle: Sorry I'm so late replying. I do like her method of touching on each point of the story without giving the whole thing away. As far as fans - well, I'm hoping :) Thanks for your good wishes.